Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Andy Goldsworthy

Andy Goldsworthy (born 26 July 1956) is a British sculptor, photographer and environmentalist living in Scotland who produces site-specific sculpture and land art situated in natural and urban settings. His art involves the use of natural and found objects, to create both temporary and permanent sculptures which draw out the character of their environment.

I haven't looked at the work of Andy Goldsworthy since I was at college, but thinking about garden design, and art and the outdoors, I have remembered why I liked him so much so many years ago. Staying true to nature, being imaginative with the worlds natural abundance, and doing so ethically and, in many cases, temporarily, are all good reasons to enjoy his work.


The dappled light shining through this timber construction is magical, like the most glorious forest you have ever seen. (I have to say, I am thinking of Exmoor at this moment.)


No comments: